Monday, January 13, 2020

Vol. 7 David


Vol. 7:  Series
   God in HIS Image

Cover:  Colors used in "Dreams"


Book Description:

David, a man after God's own heart, continually asked God what he should do. 

This is one of the great examples for the church, asking God for wisdom.

James 1:5   If any of you lack wisdom, let him ask of God, that giveth to all liberally, and upbraideth not; and it shall be given him.

As a new Christian, in 1975, I knew it was dangerous to read the Bible by my own way of thinking, so I asked God, each time I picked up my Bible, to give me wisdom and understanding concerning that which I read.

I was so serious about this that I took my Bible and wrote the following above each chapter:

"Remember to pray for wisdom."

In those early years, God had shown me this:

Jesus said:  I can of mine own self do nothing: as I hear, I judge: and my judgment is just; because I seek not mine own will, but the will of the Father which hath sent me.  (John 5:30)

Jesus, the Son of God, could do nothing without hearing from God, the Father.

I was sure I couldn't do anything by my own thinking.  I must be led by God!

So I asked God to give me HIS wisdom and HIS understanding and I asked God to lead me through the scriptures.

Many false doctrines have been set up in churches by men seeing the scriptures by their own fleshly thinking.

We must hear from God by HIS Spirit.

I admired David so much because he asked God what he should do.  And David gave us the example of asking God multiple times what to do.

Once he went into battle and he asked God, and God said, "Go up."

Shortly after that, battle arose again.  David asked God again, and that time God said to him, "Thou shalt not go up; but fetch a compass behind them, and come upon them over against the mulberry trees."  II Samuel 5:23

I saw what a danger it is for us to assume we know what to do without asking God.

I learned this from God though the examples of David in the Bible.

David was a great man of God ... and David sinned against God ... and David suffered penalties from God for his sins ... 

And David pleaded with God:


Psalm 51:10-11   Create in me a clean heart, O God; and renew a right spirit within me.

Cast me not away from THY presence; and take not THY Holy Spirit from me.

For the Holy Spirit teaches us all things and reminds us of all Jesus has said to us and guides us into all truth and shows us things to come.  (John 14:26 & John 16:13)

By that Holy Spirit of God we know the will of God as we make choices in this present life.  (I Corinthians 2)

There are many important examples for us in the Old Testament scriptures.  And these are exciting readings for the church today.  

Joan Boney