Sunday, January 5, 2020

Vol. 6/11 David is anointed as king over Israel by Samuel the prophet.


I Samuel 16:1    And the Lord said unto Samuel, How long wilt thou mourn for Saul, seeing I have rejected him from reigning over Israel? fill thine horn with oil, and go, I will send thee to Jesse the Bethlehemite: for I have provided ME a king among his sons.

We have to move forward, not dwelling in the past:

The apostle Paul says:

Philippians 3:13-15  Brethren, I count not myself to have apprehended: but this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before, I press toward the mark for the prize of the high calling of God in Christ Jesus.  Let us therefore, as many as be perfect, be thus minded: 

***


I Samuel 16:2-3   And Samuel said, How can I go? if Saul hear it, he will kill me. 

"How can I go?"  God tells us to do something.  There is a way to do this when God authors the project.  The important thing is to ask God, as Samuel did, "How can I go?"  Then Samuel expressed  his concerns to God pertaining to going.

And the Lord said, Take an heifer with thee, and say, I am come to sacrifice to the Lord.

And call Jesse to the sacrifice, and I will shew thee what thou shalt do: and thou shalt anoint unto ME him whom I name unto thee.



***


I Samuel 16:4-11    And Samuel did that which the Lord spake, and came to Bethlehem. And the elders of the town trembled at his coming, and said, Comest thou peaceably?

(Prophets often trouble people for God shows prophets various sins that are being committed in the churches and the prophets deliver messages concerning these sins.  This is true also in the NT church today concerning the work of prophets.)

And he
(Samuel) said, Peaceably: I am come to sacrifice unto the Lord: sanctify yourselves, and come with me to the sacrifice. And he sanctified Jesse and his sons, and called them to the sacrifice.

And it came to pass, when they were come, that he looked on Eliab, and said, Surely the Lord's anointed is before him.

But the Lord said unto Samuel, Look not on his countenance, or on the height of his stature; because I have refused him: for the Lord seeth not as man seeth; for man looketh on the outward appearance, but the Lord looketh on the heart.

Then Jesse called Abinadab, and made him pass before Samuel. And HE
(God) said, Neither hath the Lord chosen this.

Then Jesse made Shammah to pass by. And HE
(God) said, Neither hath the Lord chosen this.

Again, Jesse made seven of his sons to pass before Samuel. And Samuel said unto Jesse, The Lord hath not chosen these.


And Samuel said unto Jesse, Are here all thy children? 

And he (Jesse) said, There remaineth yet the youngest, and, behold, he keepeth the sheep. 

And Samuel said unto Jesse, Send and fetch him: for we will not sit down till he come hither.


***


I Samuel 16:12-14    And he sent, and brought him in. 

Now he was ruddy, and withal of a beautiful countenance, and goodly to look to. 

And the Lord said, Arise, anoint him: for this is he.

Then Samuel took the horn of oil, and anointed him in the midst of his brethren: and the Spirit of the Lord came upon David from that day forward.   So Samuel rose up, and went to Ramah.


But the Spirit of the Lord departed from Saul, and an evil spirit from the Lord troubled him.



***

The Spirit of the Lord in the New Testament church today:

The Work of the Holy Spirit is as follows:

John 14:26    But the Comforter, which is the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name, he shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you.


John 16:13   Howbeit when he, the Spirit of truth, is come, he will guide you into all truth: for he shall not speak of himself; but whatsoever he shall hear, that shall he speak: and he will shew you things to come.

The Holy Spirit does not speak of his own ideas.  He searches the heart of God and speaks that which he hears from God concerning us.  Then the Holy Spirit reveals God's thoughts concerning the matter at hand to us by bringing those thoughts and concepts to our minds.

I Corinthians 2:9-13   But as it is written, Eye hath not seen, nor ear heard, neither have entered into the heart of man, the things which God hath prepared for them that love him. But God hath revealed them unto us by his Spirit: for the Spirit searcheth all things, yea, the deep things of God.

For what man knoweth the things of a man, save the spirit of man which is in him? even so the things of God knoweth no man, but the Spirit of God.

Now we have received, not the spirit of the world, but the spirit which is of God; that we might know the things that are freely given to us of God.

Which things also we speak, not in the words which man's wisdom teacheth, but which the Holy Ghost teacheth; comparing spiritual things with spiritual.

Here is a recent example of God speaking to me by HIS Spirit.

Approximately November, 2019:

A very gentle thought came to my mind, "Read the old testament."  A few days later, the same thought came to my mind.  This second time I think I was more aware of it and probably even thought that was a good idea.  I love the old testament!  Then a few days later the same thought came a third time:  "Read the old testament."  This time, I sat down and began reading at Genesis 1:1.

It wasn't long before certain points of scripture were illuminated to me.

As I thought on that which I had seen, I realized I needed to share these with our church group.

Then I saw I needed to put these in exhortations on our daily blog:  Jesus Ministries Exhortations

Next I saw to write these things into a book which I would publish on Amazon.

Then I saw that these old testament examples compared with new testament scriptures would compose more than a single book and it would need to be written in a series of books, volumes.

The Holy Spirit guides us into all truth ... step by step.  John 16:13

I saw it as follows:

Volume 1:   Adam & Eve, Noah, Abraham, Isaac, Jacob, Joseph
Volume 2:  Moses: from the call of God through the departure of the children of Israel from Egypt
Volume 3:  Moses:  Leading the children of Israel through the wilderness
Volume 4:  Joshua:  Taking the promised land
Volume 5:  Judges:  Deborah, Gideon, Samson and others
Volume 6:  Samuel, Saul, David
Volume 7:  David

Then volumes of Solomon, the kings of Israel, the prophets of God

(I expect us to finish this project by the end of 2020.)

Often the first step we take, which is given by the Holy Spirit, will unveil to us another step shown by the Holy Spirit, thus: HE will guide you into all truth.    John 16:13

So take the first step and along the way daily trust in God to lead you in that which HE shows you to do.  In the case of this old testament project, there were 5 steps shown me in the early days of the project.

This is the way we go in forward in the Spirit of God.

Romans 8:14   For as many as are led by the Spirit of God, they are the sons of God.

As we go forward, following what God says to us, we have such assurance that it is God doing this work and it is not of ourselves. God says:  "Have not I commanded thee?"  Joshua 1:9  

I've found God leads and guides every step of the way.  And if there is a giant in our path, God shows us how to deal with that problem too!


***

The first "giant" we encountered concerned getting the books into the Amazon "free" books program, where books are advertised all over the world to Amazon customers and 5 times in a cycle these books are given away to e-book customers.

Most of our other book are in this free book program.  We like it very much because it allows people around the world to learn that the series exists.

But the computer at Amazon kicked Volume 1 back out of the "free book" program, when we tried to publish.  

I did anticipate this problem would happen to us: thus: HE will shew you things to come. (John 16:13) I had been praying about it.  When it did happen, I was not surprised and I knew what to do. 

We submitted the book again as "a new book" and we renamed the book and when we did that the computer at Amazon accepted the book into the free book program!  

We were so happy.  For us it was like a celebration.  (One giant slain!)


***

We go forward in peace and in joy and we overcome each problem that we encounter, through God, in prayer, by the Holy Spirit, as Jesus intended.

The church is to overcome on this earth:

Instructions from the book of Revelation.

Jesus says:

2:7 To him that overcometh will I give to eat of the tree of life, which is in the midst of the paradise of God.

2:11 He that overcometh shall not be hurt of the second death.

2:18 To him that overcometh will I give to eat of the hidden manna, and will give him a white stone, and in the stone a new name written, which no man knoweth saving he that receiveth it.


2:26-28   And he that overcometh, and keepeth MY works unto the end, to him will I give power over the nations: And he shall rule them with a rod of iron; as the vessels of a potter shall they be broken to shivers: even as I received of MY Father.  And I will give him the morning star.

3:5 He that overcometh, the same shall be clothed in white raiment; and I will not blot out his name out of the book of life, but I will confess his name before MY Father, and before HIS angels.

3:12 Him that overcometh will I make a pillar in the temple of MY God, and he shall go no more out: and I will write upon him the name of MY God, and the name of the city of MY God, which is new Jerusalem, which cometh down out of heaven from MY God: and I will write upon him MY new name.

3:21 To him that overcometh will I grant to sit with ME in MY throne, even as I also overcame, and am set down with MY Father in his throne.



***

I Samuel 16:15-21    And Saul's servants said unto him, Behold now, an evil spirit from God troubleth thee.  Let our lord now command thy servants, which are before thee, to seek out a man, who is a cunning player on an harp: and it shall come to pass, when the evil spirit from God is upon thee, that he shall play with his hand, and thou shalt be well.

And Saul said unto his servants, Provide me now a man that can play well, and bring him to me.


Then answered one of the servants, and said, Behold, I have seen a son of Jesse the Bethlehemite, that is cunning in playing, and a mighty valiant man, and a man of war, and prudent in matters, and a comely person, and the Lord is with him.

Wherefore Saul sent messengers unto Jesse, and said, Send me David thy son, which is with the sheep.

And Jesse took an ass laden with bread, and a bottle of wine, and a kid, and sent them by David his son unto Saul.

And David came to Saul, and stood before him: and he
(Saul) loved him greatly; and he (David) became his armourbearer.


***

I Samuel 16:22-   And Saul sent to Jesse, saying,  Let David, I pray thee, stand before me; for he hath found favour in my sight.

And it came to pass, when the evil spirit from God was upon Saul, that David took an harp, and played with his hand: so Saul was refreshed, and was well, and the evil spirit departed from him.


*****