Sunday, December 1, 2019

Vol. 4/1 God commissions Joshua


Joshua 1:1-4   Now after the death of Moses the servant of the Lord it came to pass, that the Lord spake unto Joshua the son of Nun, Moses' minister, saying,

Moses my servant is dead; now therefore arise, go over this Jordan, thou, and all this people, unto the land which I do give to them, even to the children of Israel.



Every place that the sole of your foot shall tread upon, that have I given unto you, as I said unto Moses.  From the wilderness and this Lebanon even unto the great river, the river Euphrates, all the land of the Hittites, and unto the great sea toward the going down of the sun, shall be your coast.

If I am on radio, that is my land.  If I write on blog, that is my land.  If I write books on Amazon, that is my land.

If you have a secular job, that is your land.

If you are a mother, that is your land.

Wherever our foot treads, that is our land!  We overcome through God in that land.

***


Joshua 1:5   There shall not any man be able to stand before thee all the days of thy life: as I was with Moses, so I will be with thee: I will not fail thee, nor forsake thee.

No one can overcome us when we are doing that which God ordains for us.

God gives Joshua specific instructions.  The first time I read these words, I knew these were instructions that applied to us today in the body of Christ.

6-9   Be strong and of a good courage: for unto this people shalt thou divide for an inheritance the land, which I sware unto their fathers to give them. 

We, too, should be strong in that Word which is given to us by God and we focus on that Word and we take our stand in that word, refusing all contrary ideas as we hold fast to that Word which we believe God has spoken to us by HIS Spirit.

And we keep that Word that is from God before us day and night and think on that Word to enable us to be strong enough to do that Word, as it says in the following verse.

7
  Only be thou strong and very courageous, that thou mayest observe to do according to all the law, which Moses my servant commanded thee: turn not from it to the right hand or to the left, that thou mayest prosper withersoever thou goest.



8 This book of the law shall not depart out of thy mouth; but thou shalt meditate therein day and night, that thou mayest observe to do according to all that is written therein: for then thou shalt make thy way prosperous, and then thou shalt have good success. 

We in the New Testament church do not focus on the law of Moses, but we do focus on the New Testament rules and we obey those instructions.  And we also focus on those specific words which God gives us by HIS Spirit to show us what to do as we live on this present earth.

9 Have not I commanded thee?

"Isn't it God who told us to do what we are doing?" We continually examine that which we are doing, asking ourselves, "What did God tell me about this?"

If God told us to do this thing, God is with us.  And if God is with us, who can be against us?  Romans 8

9 Be strong and of a good courage; be not afraid, neither be thou dismayed: for the Lord thy God is with thee whithersoever thou goest.

*  Be strong in that Word which God has given to you on the subject at hand.  That Word from God is our strength.  We keep our minds focused on that Word, continuing in a path to do that Word that we believe to be from God, not allowing anything or anyone to pull us away from that Word.

*  Be of good courage:  Keeping the ability to do something that frightens me.  Keeping strength in the face of pain or grief.  Going forward in the word.  Resisting the temptation to look backward.  Setting our goal in what God has said to us about this situation.  Focusing on that Word day and night.

Courage is the ability to do something that you know to be right or good, even though it may be dangerous, frightening, or difficult.  It is the Word given us by God that gives us courage as we allow that Word to build inside us as we focus on that Word.

Be not afraid: not yielding to a feeling of anxiety or fear or dread or worry ... instead we turn to God in prayer and pour out our heart before God, asking Him for HIS help in this matter.

Philippians 4:6-7   Be careful for nothing; but in every thing by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known unto God.  And the peace of God, which passeth all understanding, shall keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus.

It is wrong to deny being afraid when we are afraid, for that is a lie, and we deceive ourselves to do this.  But we turn to God telling God we are afraid and being very specific with God, telling HIM exactly of what we fear.

Do not try to ignore fear as some do.  Take immediate action through prayer by turning to God with that fear.


*  Be not dismayed:  not yielding to alarm or concern; not continuing to be upset, worried, or agitated because of some unwelcome situation.

We must pray instead.  We do not continue to live in this concerned, agitated condition.  God has the answer for us and when we pray, in faith, God will calm us by HIS word that we not be troubled.

*  for the Lord thy God is with thee whithersoever thou goest.  Remember how God helped us in the past.  God will also help us now.

In December, 2018, I fell and was in a rehabilitation hospital for 2 1/2 months.  I could not walk.  I was alone there.  Pam Padgett had been helping me for a few days and then she was leaving to return to Colorado and would return to that hospital in Texas in two weeks.  To me, at that time, I couldn't see how I could get through those two weeks.  I prayed, asking God to help me to get through this time.  That time flew by.  Each day it was the end of the day before I realized it.  It was amazing!

In 2019, toward the end of the year, I was recovering from another fall.  For a period of 3 months I didn't go out of the house where I lived.  

A thought came to my mind, "Read the Old Testament."  I had this thought two more times before I did what it said to do. (These thoughts from Holy Spirit are often so gentle that it is easy to miss them.) 

I began reading the Old Testament with great joy, starting with Genesis 1.  

After a day or so, I realized I should write exhortations on our blog, from what I saw as I read the Old Testament, so daily, after I read these Old Testament passages, I would write an exhortation from them, often comparing Old Testament doctrine with New Testament doctrine for the church today.  see: Jesus Ministries Exhortations

Before many days passed, I began thinking how I should publish these in book form on Amazon.  There is world-wide distribution on Amazon so additional people would likely see the exhortations this way.  So I began writing.  Then I realized this would not be one book but a volume of books.

At 82-years-old, the time flew by daily as I wrote these exhortations daily for both blog and book forms.  I can walk a little now with a walker but I don't feel very secure out of my room and I really don't have time to leave my room anyway with all this Old Testament in front of me.  I've currently finished 3 volumes of books and have just begun the book of Joshua, which I greatly love!


***


When I was born again in 1975, God started me in the Christian life with the Old Testament.  

God taught me many principles of obedience to HIM through these scriptures.  HE also taught me faith in God.  And HE taught me the role of a prophet of God which is one of the ministry offices HE gave me as an assignment for the New Testament church today.

Ephesians 4:8;11-14   Wherefore HE saith, When HE ascended up on high, HE led captivity captive, and gave gifts unto men ... And HE gave some, apostles; and some, prophets; and some, evangelists; and some, pastors and teachers; For the perfecting of the saints, for the work of the ministry, for the edifying of the body of Christ: Till we all come in the unity of the faith, and of the knowledge of the Son of God, unto a perfect man, unto the measure of the stature of the fulness of Christ: That we henceforth be no more children, tossed to and fro, and carried about with every wind of doctrine, by the sleight of men, and cunning craftiness, whereby they lie in wait to deceive;

***



I love the Old Testament.  God gives me courage through these examples.  

Lately God has been showing me comparisons between these Old Testament examples and New Testament rules.  

I begin reading Old Testament daily when I awaken and usually am reading and writing until the dinner hour at about 5 pm.  There are usually one or two new exhortations added per day on the blog, for future publication, and new chapters in the volume of books.  

This is the best time of my life so far!

While so many people are looking back at their past life, I can't wait to see what is in the next chapter of the Old Testament and also it is exciting for me to see how God will lead me that next day as I view these scriptures, for often it is different from what I expect!

Paul says:

Philippians 3:13-15   Brethren, I count not myself to have apprehended: but this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before,
I press toward the mark for the prize of the high calling of God in Christ Jesus. Let us therefore, as many as be perfect, be thus minded: 


*****